myrightmind.ca » the virtual camera club

89 – Vanishing Point

Finally, welcome to another Photo Challenge! 90 Vanishing Point Jeannie Gane

After such a long hiatus, I’ve finally been successful in the migration back to WordPress and the proper URL for this Virtual Camera Club. We lost a few of the images in archived posts along the way, but I have them all securely saved in my Lightroom catalog, so I should be able to rebuild those.

Since we’ve been away for such a long time, we’ve decided to ease back into the swing of our photo challenges with new themes from Jeannie for this challenge and Kathy in Challenge 90.

I’m really looking forward to getting this rolling again and seeing what everyone comes up with. Remember, the more the merrier, so please invite your friends to play along!
–Glenn

Vanishing point is the point at which something that has been growing smaller or increasingly faint disappears altogether. Another definition is around parallel lines, where the vanishing point is the point at which receding parallel lines appear to converge.
–Jeannie

Challenge set by Jeannie Gane
Submission Deadline: Sunday May 31, 2015
Voting Deadline: Thursday June 11, 2015

The Endless Rail - Donna Williamson

The Endless Rail – Donna Williamson

Winning Image:
Endless Rail
© Donna Williamson

Image Gallery:

• DonnaJune 2, 2015 - 8:31 PM

Glenn, when are the pics being posted!!!!ReplyCancel

• Glenn HubbersJune 4, 2015 - 9:50 PM

Right Now!! 😀ReplyCancel

• Donna WilliamsonJune 8, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Great to have the challenge going again!
    1. Hickory Dickory Dock – Good perspective taken of the dock.
    2. Blurred Lines – interesting interpretation of the subject and I like the various vanishing points in the photo
    3. Maitland Rail Bridge – really good photo Glenn but I felt there was just too much in the background which detracts from the vanishing point. Perhaps taken lower the bridge would have been more the centre of attraction and it may have been my #1.ReplyCancel

• Matt MoncurJune 8, 2015 - 9:18 PM

1. The Unknown Destination – Best capture of the theme vanishing point. Everything is stripped away, and all that is left is a beautiful old railway running on into infinity.
    2. Persistent Life – Love how the focus is completely drawn to the individual plant, yet the vanishing point is still very present
    3. Storm in the Rear View Mirror – Love the out of the box thinking here. Very unique take on the theme.ReplyCancel

• Lisa BJune 11, 2015 - 3:47 PM

I’m super excited that the Hubbers Photo Challenge is back! Although I didn’t submit any photos this round, I’m looking forward to a regularly scheduled excuse to be creative and hit the road with my camera.

Here are my votes for this challenge:

#1…The Unknown Destination. I took this theme literally and loved that this photo literally had a vanishing point. The rails made a perfect triangle that draws my eye up through the photo, and I think that choosing black-and-white helped emphasize the effect. Well done, Donna.

#2…Persistent Life. Glenn, I liked that this photo included a subject that wasn’t part of the vanishing point theme. I might have liked that tough little plant to be a big higher in the photo — or maybe have it larger/closer to the lens? — but mostly I just loved this interpretation of the theme. Lovely!

#3…Endless Rail. Another cool effect, Donna, this time with the rail and the light reflected in the rail both pointing to the vanishing point. Good work!

I also loved Matt’s ‘Blurred Lines’ and Jeannie’s ‘Storm in the Rear View Mirror’.

Now I’d better hit the road and work on entries for the next theme!ReplyCancel

• Matt MoncurJune 11, 2015 - 6:55 PM

All the photos did a great job of capturing the theme!

1. The Unknown Destination – perfectly captures the theme of vanishing point. Everything is stripped away, and all that is left is a beautiful, old railway that goes on into infinity
    2. Persistent Life – Really like the way that the focus is solely on the plant, yet the vanishing point is still very present
    3. Storm in the Rear View – A very outside of the box take on the theme!ReplyCancel

• Glenn HubbersJune 11, 2015 - 8:12 PM

1 – Endless Rail
    Donna, I really like this one and felt it was fairly unique among all of the rail photos I’ve seen. The thing about vanishing point images is that they are often a group of triangles, and this perspective made the top of the rail the central triangle, big enough at the bottom to be the central subject. Very nice interpretation.

2- The Unknown Destination
    Well done again, Donna! Even though I feel the horizon is a tab bit high in the image (it feels a bit uncomfortable for some reason) this is otherwise nicely composed and I really do like you processing. If anything I’d like to see added contrast and grittiness in the stones of the rail bed.

3- Storm in the Rear View Mirror
    I really struggled with what to pick for my third choice, but selected this one as the most unique interpretation. It’s not a perfect image, but I like it anyway. And the processing you’ve chosen works well.

Other comments:
    Jeannie, Country Roads is a nice image, but without clearly seeing the road go past and behind the barn, this one leaves me wondering what is the subject of the image, the road or the barn?

Donna, Gone but not Vanished is a good subject and interpretation of the theme, but I though lacked in the composition department by cutting off the edges of the leading headstones we well as having the row of stones go pretty much off the top of the frame.ReplyCancel

• JeannieJune 12, 2015 - 10:47 AM

#1 Endless Rail – really loved this interpretation Donna with the single rail. Well done.
    #2 Persistent Life – Nice shot Glenn. I like how your eye goes to the persistent weed but then is carried up and out of the photo.
    #3 Blurred Lines – Another excellent interpretation of the theme! Very different one actually and I like the multiple vanishing lines.

I was disappointed in my submissions. Even though it was my theme choice I let myself run out of time. How sad is that? My fav pic (of mine) is the one with the boy used as the initial cover photo for the challenge. lol! Mt intent was to go back to the same location and try a variety of different shots for this challenge. Never made it.

Glad to have the challenge back. Thanks Glenn for all your hard work getting us back on line!ReplyCancel

• KathyJune 14, 2015 - 4:07 PM

1 Endless Rail – Great shot with great interpretation of the theme. Love it in black and white. Very nice Donna

2. Persistent Life – Glenn another wonderful interpretation of the theme. Love the little plant, great composition.

3. Unknown Destination – Donna, great job with this theme!!

Side note, I like Jeannie, was not happy with my submissions. I didn’t really want to enter what I did, but was so happy to have the challenge back, didn’t want to miss it.ReplyCancel

• Glenn HubbersJune 18, 2015 - 7:01 AM

Congrats to Donna Williamson for the win with Endless Rail.

We look forward to a new challenge and seeing what Donna has in mind!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *