myrightmind.ca » the virtual camera club

Challenge 81 – Stars

Welcome to another round of Photo Challenge!

Challenge set by Glenn Hubbers
Submission Deadline: Tuesday September 30, 2014
Voting Deadline: Wednesday October 8, 2014
Winning Image: Night Turns to Day – Glenn Hubbers

Special Instructions

In an effort to get back on track with the challenge timing, and motivated by Kathy’s choice of Long Exposure Water pics, this one is something I’ve been wanting to do for quite some time. I’m giving lots of time for this since you really want to avoid moonlight to get good star photos. (For those in the city of course you will also have to travel to somewhere without light pollution.)

My TPE App in my iPad tells me that we are currently at 26% waning crescent with sunset at 8:22 pm and moonrise at 2:21 am, so that between 11 and midnight might be a great time for star photography! And then of course there is a new moon on Monday August 25th and and September 24th, so there are more opportunities in this challenge period.

I’m envisioning either clear star photos or long exposure star trails for this one.

I’m planning a tutorial via Google+ hangouts on Wednesday September 3 at 8:30 pm EDT. If you want to participate, you’ll need a computer with a web cam, a pair of headphones and mic of some sort, and a Google+ account. Please leave me a comment below that you are interested so I can invite you into the hangout.

–Glenn

Happy Shooting!

• DonnaSeptember 8, 2014 - 9:38 AM

Glenn, I’m interested.ReplyCancel

• GlennSeptember 8, 2014 - 7:17 PM

That’s cool, Donna. Let’s have a conversation about star photography.
    I’ll suggest Wednesday at 8:30 again. Does that work?

Anyone else who is interested, please do the following:
    – Leave me a comment here OR better yet, contact me on Google +
    – Wednesday at 8:30, please be signed into your Google+ profile, and I will invite you to a hangout.ReplyCancel

• DonnaSeptember 8, 2014 - 7:37 PM

I’ll be thereReplyCancel

• KathyOctober 1, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Holy crap people!!! Amazing shotsReplyCancel

• Marie BridelOctober 2, 2014 - 8:55 PM

Oh my GOD! These are all spectacular!!! Good work everyone…choosing even a top 3 would be impossible for me. Wow.ReplyCancel

• JeannieOctober 8, 2014 - 7:25 PM

1. Night turns to day – love. love LOVE this shot Glenn. It is simply stunning. How long a shutter speed did you use?
    2. T207 – I really like the angle this was taken at. Is this a 3 am shot? 🙂
    3. Too Many to Count – good work Jacci. I think with a little more processing, you could have gotten the stars to really pop. Did you use lens with a filter on it?

Glenn, I really liked your lighthouse shot too, but am not really a huge fan of the really, really wide angle. That is simply personal taste though. It is a lovely photo and really crisp. I struggled with getting my foreground in focus. I also struggled with being out in the middle of the night by myself in a suitable location! I really had to push myself for this challenge, but am glad I did it!. I learned lots. 😉ReplyCancel

• GlennOctober 8, 2014 - 10:19 PM

1. Canadian Sky
    Jeannie, this easily topped my list. The tree profile actually reminded me of some Tom Thompson prints that we have. Excellent composition.
    (I’ll tell you my settings if you tell me yours!)

2. Too many to Count
    Jacci, I thought this one was pretty good. There are many inline tutorials that would help you process your milky way images. Take a look at a recent post on my blog.

3. My Backyard at Midnight
    Jeannie, I liked this shot for composition and the sheer number of stars visible but the rather severe change from magenta to blue didn’t seem to work for me.

Only a couple of hours for voting to be open. I hope we get a few more stragglers!ReplyCancel

• GlennOctober 9, 2014 - 6:33 AM

I have a blog post in the works telling the story of my weekend photo trip where I was working on these shots. Suffice here to say that I travelled up to Tobermory and spent a bunch of time up in the wee hours.

Night turns to Day was the result of heading out very early to do star photos and staying for sunrise. This was one of my favourite shots of the group, and turned out even better than I expected when I was doing it. It’s shot with my D7100 at f/4, 10 mm, for 30 seconds. Editing was only with Lightroom.

T207 was shot at 18mm, F2.8 for 25 seconds and was actually at about 5:17 am. I have a vision for this image, and this result doesn’t quite make it. I’m going to keep working on this to achieve what I really want.

Big Tub Harbour Lighthouse is just across the bay from the town of Tobermory and suffers from the minor amount of light pollution that the town emits, most of which comes from the lights from the Chi-Cheemaun ferry waiting for the morning crossing. This is one of those cases where the wide angle lens has really skewed the shape of the lighthouse. This doesn’t happen for a purely landscape image (after allm a warped rock is just a rock) and I consider it a lesson learned about this lens. It doesn’t play nice with straight or vertical lines so I need to think more about where I’m placing buildings in the frame.ReplyCancel

• KateOctober 9, 2014 - 12:00 PM

1. Day turns to night.
    2. Canadian Sky
    3. Big Tub Harbour LighthouseReplyCancel

• GlennOctober 9, 2014 - 6:34 PM

I’m very reluctant to call this one after only 3 votes, so I’ll leave this over the holiday weekend in hopes of getting more. Results can be expected Monday evening.ReplyCancel

• JacciOctober 9, 2014 - 8:54 PM

Hey Sorry for the late Voting!! I started a new job and been sick…. Anyway

1night Turns to day
    2 Canadian sky
    3 is there anybody out there?

I had a lot of problems with my photoshop and couldn’t edit the way I was hoping to. I’m hoping I’ll get time this weekend to get it worked out!ReplyCancel

• KathyOctober 9, 2014 - 9:15 PM

1. Night turns to Day – Glenn this is an amazing photo that you should be very proud of. Great capture

2. Canadian Sky. Love this shot also Jeannie. My only reason putting it after Glenns was the colours didn’t seem quite as natural.

3. Too many to count – Jacci – Really good try Jacci, like you, I struggled with this one, but you did a much better job!ReplyCancel

• JeannieOctober 10, 2014 - 10:17 AM

Check this out! It is very cool and would have loved to have found it prior to this challenge…

One of the places on the map for Quinte West is about a half hour from here. Might have to check it out some night. 🙂ReplyCancel

• GlennOctober 13, 2014 - 11:10 PM

Yes, Jeannie, I saw that web site. I looked at that prior to going up to Tobermory. Most of the Bruce Peninsula is a great place for night sky photography. I’m certain this will not be my last trip!ReplyCancel

• GlennOctober 13, 2014 - 11:12 PM

The winning image this round is yours truly, with Night Turns to Day.

I’m very happy with this image and had to do a lot less editing on this one that the others.

A new theme is coming soon!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *