myrightmind.ca » the virtual camera club

Challenge 79 – Signs

Welcome to another round of Photo Challenge!

Challenge set by Kathy Walsh
Submission Deadline: Thursday July 31, 2014
Voting Deadline: Sunday August 31, 2014
Winning Image: No Means Yes – Donna Williamson

Special Instructions

Street signs, road signs, business signs, whatever…

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs…
Blocking up the scenery, breakin’ my mind.
Do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the signs?

Happy Shooting!

• KateJuly 19, 2014 - 12:48 PM

Question for the boss: Can these “sign” photos come from our library, or are they to be taken since the theme was assigned?

KateReplyCancel

• GlennAugust 16, 2014 - 1:56 PM

Taken since the theme was assigned is the rule, unless you have a really good excuse like medical limitations.ReplyCancel

• GlennAugust 16, 2014 - 1:57 PM

BTW, we only have a few entries for this one so I’m still holding out for more.

It appears that Jeannie may miss her first challenge!!! Oh no!!!ReplyCancel

• KathyAugust 20, 2014 - 1:37 PM

Jeannie is too busy now that she is retired!! 🙂ReplyCancel

• JeannieAugust 20, 2014 - 7:20 PM

Hey! Wait for me! I have at least ONE to send in … I was waiting to see if the challenge was going to live on and I see it is!

And busy looking for a word press theme to create my own photo blog …. seems like retirement is a great time to do that!

Excited to have the challenge back!ReplyCancel

• DonnaAugust 29, 2014 - 3:29 PM

Well this was an interesting contest. I am basing my votes on the unusual signs.
    1. Cute Puppy – what a cute sign and it catches your eye right away.
    2. Only in West Virginia – they sure do serve beer with anything!
    3. Gunns Corners – or maybe Bates Hotel. Wish there could have been less distractions in the background but tells a story anyway.ReplyCancel

• Kate PotterAugust 29, 2014 - 4:32 PM

1. Gunns Corners. FABULOUS!
    2. No means Yes. Great capture, Donna.
    3. Home Sweet Home. Although it’s not the sign that’s all that spectacular, the bird absolutely “makes it” so.ReplyCancel

• DonnaSeptember 1, 2014 - 7:05 PM

Hey everybody. Voting ends at midnight tonight so get your votes in.
    Jeannie and I are helping Glenn keep to the timelines.ReplyCancel

• JeannieSeptember 1, 2014 - 10:24 PM

1. No Means Yes. Well done Donna! Your timing on this shot was perfect! And it is very sharp!

2. Only in West Virginia – Kate, this shot made me LOL! Very nice!

3. Home Sweet Home – Bonnie, timing is everything! Nice capture!ReplyCancel

• KathySeptember 1, 2014 - 10:45 PM

1. Trois Garcons – Donna very funny!!

2. Show Prep – Jeannie. Near and dear to my heart! love it

3. No means yes – Donna, makes me cringe but great shot!ReplyCancel

• GlennSeptember 2, 2014 - 12:00 AM

Well if that’s the voting deadline, I guess that applies to me as well!

Also, I personally feel the need to be more thorough in my voting, to offer more of my thoughts about how I might have framed the scene for the photographer and all of us to benefit from that thought process. I invite you all to do the same.

3rd – Show Prep – Jeannie
    I really liked this photo Jeannie, but could not quite get past what I wanted it to be. I would have preferred a landscape orientation and pushing the shutter a fraction of a second earlier or later so that the entire horse was clear if the sign. And them perhaps a marginally shallower depth of field with the focus on the sign would blur the horse and rider ever so slightly. You could also do this in Photoshop, of course.

2nd – Leaving Signs in the Sand – Jeannie
    Jeannie, I loved this image and wouldn’t change a thing. The only reason I did not make this first place is simply the quality of my other choice.

1st – No Means Yes
    Donna, I was immediately drawn to this photo among the group. The framing is excellent; the splashes on the pier clearly show previous jumpers and the other feet in the upper right corner show another teen waiting his turn. This one is a real storyteller. Excellent work.

And a few comments on others as well…

Cute Puppy
    Bonnie, this sign is a great find. Is it nearby where you frequent? I’d love to see this sign in its environment rather than the closeup.

Gunns Corners
    Kathy, this image seemed to be to have colour cast to it. Now perhaps you edited this way on purpose in which case stop reading now and ignore me. If not though, this looks to be like a white balance issue. You may be able to tweak that depending on what software you use. If you don’t know how this is done, just ask for help from the group.

Home Sweet Home
    Bonnie, I have virtually the same comment as for Cute Puppy. I think that zooming out and showing the sign and heron in their environment more would tell the story better.

Only in West Virginia
    Kate, I’ll offer the same comment as the two from Bonnie. This is a great sign, and would be much more impactful to the viewer if more of the surroundings were available, to get a better “feel” for the place.

Trois Garcon.
    Ditto, Donna. Excellent find. Do you have a photo that shows right down to the street level? It would be great to show the sign over the restaurant, particularly if it was obviously busy, that would be even better. Think of a photo to advertise this restaurant and you’ll know what I mean.

Just so you know, I do this same thing all the time and I’m really trying to alter the way I see these type of images. But I still catch myself coming back from a trip somewhere and the images I took do not match what I was imagining when I took the shot.ReplyCancel

• GlennSeptember 2, 2014 - 12:01 AM

Just under the wire, Donna. Heh, heh, heh… 😀ReplyCancel

• GlennSeptember 2, 2014 - 12:17 AM

Thanks to Donna for taking on the task of keeping me on track, and congrats to Donna for winning this week’s challenge with No Means Yes.

Email me a new theme soon, Donna!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *