myrightmind.ca » the virtual camera club

Challenge 77 – The Street

Challenge set by Glenn Hubbers
Submission Deadline: Monday June 30, 2014
Voting Deadline: Wednesday July 9, 2014
Winning Image: NYC at Night – Kathy Walsh

Special Instructions

Give us some examples of your best Street Photography. Ideally these will have people in them, either posed (as in an impromptu portrait) or just in motion going about their daily lives. Black and white is encouraged, unless you particularly feel that the image requires colour to get the point across.
– Glenn

• KateMay 31, 2014 - 9:32 AM

Oh ya, sure…. NOW you say street photography! NOW that I”m back from New Orleans and living in the middle of the forest. Harrumph!ReplyCancel

• JoelleJuly 4, 2014 - 10:10 PM

I know I definitely can’t vote, but I LOVE “Old Town Warsaw” and “NYC at Night”. I would put these on my walls!ReplyCancel

• GlennJuly 6, 2014 - 7:28 AM

Joelle, we always welcome votes from everyone! In the case of a tie I would take into account all those extra votes, plus we just like the feedback from a wider audience.

We’d also gladly welcome you back to participate again!! 😀ReplyCancel

• KathyJuly 5, 2014 - 12:16 PM

I almost missed this one, but so glad I didn’t. So I will post my votes now, then I won’t fall behind on that as well 🙂

1. Old Town Warsaw – Jeannie – Love it! Like Joelle, I would put this on my wall!

2. Cheers – Glenn – Nice shot, keep wondering why these cheerleaders are on bikes? what’s the story behind it?

3. Tie between Street Artist and Pan Am Prep. I really like both of these and can’t pick between them…is this allowed?ReplyCancel

• GlennJuly 6, 2014 - 7:32 AM

No Kathy, there are no ties. I can’t register a 3rd place vote for you unless you give me a single choice.

As for “Cheers”, I was wondering the same thing! I spent the better part of a morning walking around the streets of Toronto practising street photography. There was a big event at Dundas Square to do with the Pan Am games. I don’t know if these cheerleaders were on their way there or not, as this was several blocks away, but when I saw them I couldn’t resist snapping a few pics.ReplyCancel

• KathyJuly 6, 2014 - 10:03 AM

dang it!

I will have to go with Pan Am Prep only because the little boy is out of focus in Street Artist. This was likely intentional, but my personal preference would have been to have him a bit more in focus. Both are great shots!ReplyCancel

• kateJuly 6, 2014 - 11:33 AM

1. Waiting for the bus
    2. Cheers
    3. NYC at nightReplyCancel

• KateJuly 6, 2014 - 1:29 PM

Sorry my comments so brief. In between travel … livestock… garden…
    More later. K8ReplyCancel

• JeannieJuly 11, 2014 - 6:16 PM

1. NYC at Night – Nice shot Kathy!
    2. Pan Am Pro – great capture Glenn. I like the cropping with the shadow in the picture too. Very nice! The look of happiness on his face makes the shot!
    3. Cheers – Very nice Glenn! Looks like they were having fun whatever they were doing! I like the post-processing choice of sepia.

And I must comment on “Rush Hour on My Street” … Love it Kate! It made me chuckle!ReplyCancel

• JacciJuly 12, 2014 - 9:43 AM

Pan Am Prep- great shot; it is very crisp.
    NYC at time- i love this shot, it reminds me of a poster.
    Street Artist – this is a great photo, however as mentioned above the little boy is out of focus.ReplyCancel

• GlennAugust 16, 2014 - 1:49 PM

Wow! Am I ever late with my votes! (Not to mention posting photos in the other challenges!)

1st – NYC At Night
    Loved this image Kathy, though I did find it just a bit dark. I’d like to see a slight increases in exposure (not too much!) and a bit of contrast to go along with. Great shot, though!

2nd – Old Town Warsaw
    Jeannie, this was very nice, though I found it a slight bit soft. That may be a matter of personal taste though.

3rd – TAXI!
    Kathy, again this is a very nice image. I found myself wishing this was taken a fraction of a second earlier so to not cut off the nose of the lead car, and I also found it somewhat dark, particularly where the pedestrians are walking. A slight exposure increase with a selective brush would go a long way.ReplyCancel

• GlennAugust 16, 2014 - 1:50 PM

And with that, the winning image is NYC at Night.

Congrats on the win, Kathy! Please send me a new theme asap.

Due to no one’s fault but mine we are a bit late with getting to the next one, but we’ll just continue along as best we can!ReplyCancel

• KathyAugust 17, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the votes! I had such a great time for my first visit to NYC, hope I can go back some day. Thanks Glenn for the CC, I will try to lighten it a bit and will send you a new theme shortly.ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *